- 2 sachets instant dashi (see note)
- 220 gm sushi rice, rinsed under cold running water
- 60 ml soy sauce, plus extra to taste (¼ cup)
- 16 medium uncooked prawns, peeled
- 1 cup Asian greens, such as baby bok choy, choy sum or chrysanthemum leaves (see note)
- 120 gm sugarsnap peas, trimmed
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger, or to taste
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- To serve: thinly sliced spring onion and toasted nori
- 1Whisk dashi and 2 litres boiling water in a large saucepan over high heat, add rice and soy, bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-high, cook until rice is just tender (15-20 minutes). Add prawns, greens, peas and ginger, remove from heat, stand until prawns are cooked through and greens wilt (3-4 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, place eggs in a deep heatproof container. Add enough boiling water to cover, seal with lid and stand (10 minutes).
- 3Ladle soup into warm bowls. Halve eggs with a knife, then scoop eggs from shells with a spoon, add to broth, scatter with spring onion and nori and serve hot.
Note Instant dashi is available from Japanese grocers. Chrysanthemum leaves are available from select Asian grocers.