- 460 gm (2 cups) sushi rice, rinsed
- 50 ml rice vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 500 gm white cabbage (about ¼ small cabbage), shaved on a mandolin
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 200 gm smoked trout, coarsely flaked
- To serve: roasted sesame seeds
Pickled ginger dressing
- 100 ml grapeseed or rice bran oil
- 60 gm pickled ginger
- 40 gm golden shallots (about 2), chopped
- 2 tsp tamari
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar, or to taste
- 1Combine rice, 600ml cold water and a pinch of salt in a saucepan, bring to the boil over high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and cook without uncovering for 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Combine vinegar and sugar in a bowl, then drizzle over rice, cover and set aside for 5 minutes. Tip rice onto a tray and spread out to cool briefly.
- 2For pickled ginger dressing, blend oil, ginger and shallots in a small food processor, add tamari and rice vinegar and stir to combine.
- 3Divide rice among bowls. Toss cabbage and spring onions in a bowl with pickled ginger dressing to taste, divide among bowls, top with smoked trout, scatter with extra sesame seeds and serve with remaining pickled ginger dressing.