- 400 gm dried spelt spaghetti (see note)
- ½ small Spanish onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped, or to taste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100 gm kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 70 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 150 gm canned or jarred tuna in oil, drained
- To serve: coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and oregano
- 1Cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente (6-7 minutes), and drain, reserving 50ml cooking water.
- 2Meanwhile, combine onion, garlic, chilli and vinegar in a bowl and stand to soften. Combine kale, oil and lemon juice in a bowl and rub with your hands until slightly wilted (2-3 minutes), then season to taste.
- 3Toss onion mixture, kale mixture, tuna and herbs through hot pasta along with reserved cooking water, season to taste and serve hot.
Spelt spaghetti is available from select delicatessens.