- 300 gm (1½ cups) brown rice
- 500 gm sashimi-grade kingfish, thinly sliced
- 1 telegraph cucumber, peeled, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 100 gm daikon, cut into julienne
- 1 avocado, cut into 2cm dice
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (loosely packed) mizuna (see note)
- Torn roasted nori and Japanese mayonnaise (see note), to serve
Pickled ginger ponzu
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime, 1 lemon and ¼ ruby grapefruit
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 70 gm (¼ cup) drained pickled ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grapeseed or other neutral-flavoured oil
- 1½ tamari
- 1½ caster sugar
- 1Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (15-20 minutes). Drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, for pickled ginger ponzu dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine and season to taste.
- 3Divide warm rice among serving bowls and top with kingfish, cucumber, daikon, avocado and spring onion. Scatter with mizuna and nori, season to taste and serve with Japanese mayonnaise.
Mizuna is available from select Asian grocers and greengrocers. Japanese mayonnaise (such as Kenko or Kewpie) is available from Asian grocers and select supermarkets.