Mizuna is available from select Asian grocers and greengrocers. Japanese mayonnaise (such as Kenko or Kewpie) is available from Asian grocers and select supermarkets.
- 300 gm (1½ cups) brown rice
- 500 gm sashimi-grade kingfish, thinly sliced
- 1 telegraph cucumber, peeled, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 100 gm daikon, cut into julienne
- 1 avocado, cut into 2cm dice
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (loosely packed) mizuna (see note)
- torn roasted nori and japanese mayonnaise (see note), to serve
Pickled ginger ponzu
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime, 1 lemon and 1⁄4 ruby grapefruit
- 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 70 gm (1⁄4 cup) drained pickled ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grapeseed or other neutral-flavoured oil
- 1 1/2 tamari
- 1 1/2 caster sugar
- 1Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (15-20 minutes). Drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, for pickled ginger ponzu dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine and season to taste.
- 3Divide warm rice among serving bowls and top with kingfish, cucumber, daikon, avocado and spring onion. Scatter with mizuna and nori, season to taste and serve with Japanese mayonnaise.