- 4 250 gm rump or sirloin beef steaks, at room temperature
- 16 green onions
- 125 ml soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black peppercorns
- For brushing: vegetable oil
- To serve: steamed short-grain rice, coriander sprigs, gochujang (Korean chilli bean paste) and soy sauce
- 1Cut steaks in half widthways, then through the middle, to make 16 slices of meat. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, gently pound each piece until 5mm thick, then score flesh 1mm deep in a criss-cross pattern.
- 2Trim 12 green onions to 14cm long and reserve. Chop remaining green onions finely, combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl, add steak and turn to coat well, then cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 3Char-grill drained steak on a very hot oiled barbecue, in batches, for 30 seconds on each side, then char-grill reserved green onions for 2 minutes on each side or until tender.
- 4Serve bulgogi and onions immediately with steamed rice, scattered with coriander and bowls of gochujang and soy sauce passed separately.
Drink Suggestion: Clean, fresh, aromatic Czech-style pilsener lager.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm