This lovely rustic soup from France's Gascony region is perfect for chilly winter nights.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 300 gm speck, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 500 gm white cabbage (about ½ cabbage), coarsely chopped
- 2 pontiac potatoes (about 350gm), coarsely chopped
- 120 gm stale bread, coarsely torn
- To serve: finely grated parmesan (optional)
- To serve: flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn
- 1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat, add onion, stir until tender (3-5 minutes), add speck and garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add stock, cabbage and potato, bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until vegetables are tender (25 minutes).
- 2Divide bread among plates, ladle soup over. Scatter with parmesan and parsley, serve hot.