In this lamb cutlets recipe, the sweetness of dates is offset by the acidity of citrus. Serve with couscous or moghrabieh to make a more substantial meal.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 12 lamb cutlets
- 1 tsp finely crushed cumin seeds
- 1 tsp finely crushed coriander seeds
- Thick Greek-style yoghurt, or labne, to serve
- Mint, to serve
Date and almond salad
- 50 gm smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
- 8 medjool dates, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, seeds removed, flesh coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ orange
- Large pinch of sumac
- 1Heat a large frying pan over high heat and add oil. Season lamb with spices and sea salt, then add to pan and grill until golden brown (3-4 minutes), then turn and grill until lamb is golden brown and cooked to your liking (3-4 minutes for medium-rare). Transfer cutlets to a plate and rest in a warm place (5 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for date salad, add ingredients to a bowl and mix gently with your hands to combine.
- 3To serve, spread yoghurt over a platter, top with salad and lamb, and scatter with picked mint leaves.