Lamb koftas are your quick dinner solution for any day of the week. This recipe serves four, but can be easily scaled up to feed a crowd (this is when the outdoor barbecue can come in handy). The beetroot salad, meanwhile, adds freshness and colour.
- 35 gm (½ cup) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 600 gm minced lamb
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ⅓ cup fresh oregano leaves, coarsely chopped
- 100 gm feta, crumbled
- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 350 gm (1¼ cups) Greek yoghurt
- 1 lemon
- 200 gm beetroot, coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 baby cos lettuce, trimmed, leaves separated
- 1Place breadcrumbs and milk in a medium bowl and stand until milk is absorbed (3 minutes). Add lamb, allspice and oregano and season to taste. Using your hands, work mixture until well combined, then add feta and mix until combined. Roll heaped tablespoonfuls of lamb mixture into kofta shapes and thread onto metal or wooden skewers.
- 2Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and cook kofta, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through (10 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, finely grate the rind from the lemon and juice the lemon. Combine 70gm (¼ cup) of the yoghurt and the juice in a small bowl and season to taste.
- 4For beetroot salad, combine lemon rind, beetroot, remaining yoghurt, mint and garlic in a bowl and season to taste. Serve kofta with lettuce and beetroot, drizzled with lemon yoghurt.