For an equally delicious but different flavour, substitute 6 large basil leaves for the lavender.
- 750 ml marsanne or other fruity white wine
- 330 gm caster sugar (1½ cups)
- 1 orange, thinly peeled rind and juice
- 2 tsp dried lavender, tied in a piece of muslin
- 6 white nectarines
- 3 peaches, halved and stoned
- 12-18 apricots (depending on size)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 150 ml double cream
- 100 gm walnuts, roasted and very finely chopped
- 6 brioche rolls (6cm diameter), each cut widthways into 4 slices
- icing sugar, For dusting
- 1Place all ingredients, except stone fruit, and 1½ cups water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add nectarines, cover with a round of baking paper, then a plate and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add peach halves and apricots, re-cover and cook for another 15 minutes or until fruit is tender. Cool, then remove skins from stone fruit.
- 2For walnut and honey cream sandwiches, combine honey, cream and walnuts in a small bowl, then spread mixture equally over half the brioche slices and top with remaining slices. Dust the tops with icing sugar.
- 3Serve stone fruit and syrup at room temperature or chilled, with walnut and honey cream sandwiches passed separately.