This salad is packed with bright and bitter flavour. It makes a perfect light lunch, or a side for a rich braise or a grilled piece of fish.
- 100 gm (½ cup) dried green lentils
- ½ red onion, cut into thin wedges, rinsed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 red witlof, leaves separated
- Handful of torn mint leaves
- Shavings of pecorino, to serve
- 1Cook lentils in boiling water until tender (20 minutes). Drain well and cool.
- 2Meanwhile, combine red onion, vinegar and a large pinch of salt in a large bowl, toss to combine and leave for 10 minutes to soften.
- 3Add oil, witlof, mint and cooled lentils to the onion and toss gently to combine. Transfer to plates, top with pecorino, drizzle with oil and season to taste to serve.