This salad is packed with bright and bitter flavour. It makes a perfect light lunch, or a side for a rich braise or a grilled piece of fish.
- 100 gm (½ cup) dried green lentils
- ½ red onion, cut into thin wedges, rinsed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 red witlof, leaves separated
- Handful of torn mint leaves
- Shavings of pecorino, to serve
- 1Cook lentils in boiling water until tender (20 minutes). Drain well and cool.
- 2Meanwhile, combine red onion, vinegar and a large pinch of salt in a large bowl, toss to combine and leave for 10 minutes to soften.
- 3Add oil, witlof, mint and cooled lentils to the onion and toss gently to combine. Transfer to plates, top with pecorino, drizzle with oil and season to taste to serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsGT’s picks of the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival 2020Yesterday 4:00am