- 500 gm (2½ cups) small green lentils, rinsed, drained
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 Spanish onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 radicchio, cut into thin wedges
- 125 ml aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup Ligurian olives, cracked and pitted
- 100 gm sliced coppa, torn
- 8 buffalo bocconcini (see note)
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Cook lentils in a large saucepan of boiling water over high heat until tender (15-20 minutes). Drain, then transfer to a bowl, add extra-virgin olive oil, parsley and garlic, season to taste, stir to combine and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, combine onion and olive oil in a roasting pan, season to taste and roast until starting to turn golden (20 minutes). Remove from oven, add radicchio and balsamic vinegar and roast until wilted (5-10 minutes). Transfer mixture to lentils with olives and coppa, toss to combine and serve with bocconcini and extra parsley.
Buffalo bocconcini is available from select Italian delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute cow’s milk bocconcini.
This recipe is from the May 2010 issue of