A comforting pudding doesn't have to be out of the question when time is tight. Take this lime and buttermilk pudding. We've hacked the method of a self-saucing pudding to make it speedy, and given the flavours a twist, using lime and buttermilk for a little tang. Ice-cream or whipped cream are a must.
- 200 ml well-shaken buttermilk
- 180 gm caster sugar
- 50 ml milk
- 40 gm softened butter, plus extra for greasing
- 40 gm self-raising flour
- 2 eggs, separated
- Juice of 2 limes, finely grated rind of 1
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- Icing sugar (optional), for dusting
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Butter four 250ml shallow ovenproof bowls and place in a roasting pan. Blend buttermilk, sugar, milk, butter, flour, egg yolks, lime juice and vanilla in a blender until smooth. Whisk eggwhite and a pinch of salt to soft peaks (1-2 minutes), fold into buttermilk mixture, then divide among prepared bowls. Pour boiling water into roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of bowls, and bake until golden brown and just set (15-18 minutes). Dust with icing sugar and serve with ice-cream or whipped cream and scatter with lime rind.