- 800 gm skirt steak, trimmed
- 250 ml (1 cup) lime juice (about 8 limes), or to taste, plus extra wedges to serve
- 2 avocadoes, flesh coarsely chopped
- ½ long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup coriander (firmly packed), coarsely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 10 flour tortillas
- To serve: jalapeños and shredded iceberg lettuce (optional)
- 1Place steak in a non-reactive dish, cover with 200ml lime juice and stand to marinate for 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- 2Meanwhile, combine avocado, chilli, half the oil and 25ml lime juice (or to taste) in a bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- 3Combine tomato, coriander, remaining oil and remaining lime juice (or to taste), season to taste and set aside.
- 4Preheat a char-grill to high heat. Remove steak from juice and pat dry with absorbent paper. Grill steak until cooked to your liking, turning occasionally (4-5 minutes each side for rare), transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest (10 minutes).
- 5Meanwhile, grill tortillas in batches until warm, turning once (15 seconds each side), keep warm and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- 6Thinly slice steak, season to taste and serve with avocado mixture, tomato mixture, tortillas, extra lime wedges, jalapeños and iceberg, if desired.
This recipe is from the December 2009 issue of magazine.