- 400 gm dried linguine
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs (see note)
- 100 gm parmesan, finely grated
- 1Cook linguine in boiling salted water until al dente (8-10 minutes). Drain, reserving 80ml cooking liquid, and return to pan with liquid and olive oil. Season to taste with sea salt and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper, set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, bring a deep-sided frying pan of water to a simmer over low-medium heat. Add eggs and cook until cooked to your liking (3 minutes for soft poached), drain, set aside.
- 3Divide linguine among plates, top with an egg, scatter with parmesan, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, if desired, and serve immediately.
It’s important to use the freshest free-range eggs when poaching to ensure the eggs retain their shape.