- 6 veal T-bone steaks (300gm each)
- 6 fresh bay leaves, torn
- 2 tbsp lemon thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 500 ml dry white wine
- 1 kg piece of Japanese pumpkin, seeded and cut into thin wedges
- 3 Spanish onions, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 24 marinated anchovies (see note)
- 1Place steaks in a single layer in a large glass or ceramic dish, then season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Scatter with bay leaves and thyme, pour over extra-virgin olive oil and wine, then cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- 2Brush pumpkin and onion wedges with olive oil and char-grill over medium-high heat for 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- 3Meanwhile, remove veal from marinade and pat dry on absorbent paper, then char-grill for 4-5 minutes on each side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking.
- 4Divide char-grilled pumpkin, onion and anchovies among 6 plates, top with veal and serve immediately.
Note Marinated anchovies, also known as boquerones, are fresh anchovies from Spain's north coast that have been marinated and preserved in a vinegar mixture. Available from Simon Johnson.
Drink Suggestion: Clare Valley cabernet or malbec.