- 4 plain croissants, halved
- 50 gm softened butter
- For spreading: marmalade or jam of your choice
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 100 ml milk
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 90 gm caster sugar
- To serve: pure icing sugar, for dusting and vanilla ice-cream (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 170C and preheat grill to high. Place croissants cut-side up on a baking tray and grill until toasted (1-2 minutes). Cool slightly, then spread with butter and a little jam.
- 2Bring cream, milk, vanilla seeds and orange rind to the simmer over medium-high heat. Whisk eggs, yolk and sugar in a bowl to combine, then pour into cream mixture and whisk until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 3Coarsely tear croissants into large pieces and arrange in 4 buttered and sugared 400ml ramekins. Pour cream mixture into ramekins, stand for 5 minutes to soak, then bake until set and golden (10-15 minutes). Serve hot, dusted with icing sugar and with vanilla ice-cream.