- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 85 gm crustless white bread
- 80 ml milk (1/3 cup)
- 1 kg finely minced pork
- 40 gm finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve (½ cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, or to taste
- 700 ml passata (1 bottle)
- To serve: crusty bread rolls and rocket salad
- 1Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Add onion and cook over medium heat until soft (4-5 minutes), adding garlic in last minute of cooking. Spread over a plate to cool.
- 2Meanwhile, soak bread in milk until all milk is absorbed, then use your fingers to press into a coarse paste. Set aside.
- 3Combine pork, parmesan, egg, rosemary and onion and bread mixture in a bowl. Season to taste with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and nutmeg, then roll into golf ball-sized balls.
- 4Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned (4-5 minutes). Add passata and cook until meatballs are cooked and sauce is thick (3-5 minutes). Season to taste, stuff into crusty bread rolls, scatter with parmesan and serve immediately with rocket salad to the side.