- 8 merguez sausages
- To serve: harissa and thick natural yoghurt
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 250 gm couscous
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ orange
- 1 tsp each toasted and ground cumin and coriander seeds
- ¼ tsp each ground allspice and sumac
- 1 cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 80 gm toasted pine nuts (½ cup)
- 80 gm currants (½ cup)
- Rind of 1 preserved lemon, rinsed and diced
- 1For fragrant couscous, bring stock to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Place couscous in a bowl with oil, orange juice and spices, and rub with your fingers to combine well. Season to taste, then pour hot stock over, stir with a fork, cover with plastic wrap and stand until couscous has absorbed the liquid (10-15 minutes). Fluff up with a fork, cover again and set aside. Just before serving, add coriander, pine nuts, currants and lemon rind, and stir to combine.
- 2Grill or barbecue sausages over high heat until well browned and cooked through (6-8 minutes), then serve with couscous, harissa and yoghurt.