- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 100 gm pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 2 zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb of baby fennel, thinly sliced
- 100 gm spaghetti, broken into small pieces (see note)
- 2 litres (8 cups) chicken stock or water
- 1 400gm can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch of broccolini, trimmed, cut into 3cm lengths
- 100 gm curly kale, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (loosely packed) basil leaves, coarsely torn
- 1Heat olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, add pancetta, zucchini, leek and fennel and cook over medium-high heat until soft (5 minutes). Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add broken spaghetti and chicken stock (or water), bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until pasta is almost cooked (5 minutes). Add beans, broccolini and kale, stir to combine and cook until broccolini is tender and pasta is al dente (3 minutes). Season to taste, add basil leaves, and serve drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil, shaved parmesan and crusty bread, if desired.
Any small pasta such as ditalini or risoni may be used in place of the broken spaghetti.