- 4 beef fillet steaks (200gm each)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 150 gm snow peas, trimmed and thinly sliced diagonally
- 150 gm sugar snap peas, trimmed, blanched and refreshed in iced water
- 1 cup mint leaves (loosely packed)
- 50 gm snow pea sprouts, trimmed
- 120 gm grape tomatoes, halved lengthways (1 punnet)
Mint and chilli dressing
- 4 cups mint leaves (loosely packed)
- 90 gm coarsely chopped palm sugar (1/3 cup)
- 1-2 small red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 100 ml Chinkiang black vinegar (see note)
- 1Heat a barbecue or chargrill to high, brush beef with oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side for medium rare, rest for 5 minutes, thinly slice and place in a bowl.
- 2Meanwhile, for mint and chilli dressing, combine mint, sugar and chilli in a mortar and, using a pestle, pound to a coarse paste, add vinegar, season to taste with sea salt, then drizzle two-thirds of dressing over beef.
- 3To serve, combine remaining ingredients in a bowl, add beef, drizzle over remaining dressing, toss gently to combine and serve.
Chinkiang black vinegar from the Chinese province of the same name is made from glutinous rice and malt and is available from Asian supermarkets. If unavailable, substitute with rice vinegar.