This simple but tasty dish is inspired by Kylie Kwong's delicious green bean dish at Billy Kwong in Sydney. Serve it with steamed rice.
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp shiro miso (see note)
- 1½ tbsp rice malt syrup (see note)
- ½ tbsp Shaoxing wine
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 350 gm green beans, trimmed
- 1 small chicken breast (250gm), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- 1Whisk garlic, miso, rice syrup, Shaoxing, rice vinegar, sesame oil and 2 tbsp water in a bowl to combine.
- 2Heat vegetable oil in a wok over high heat and stir-fry beans until just wilted (1-2 minutes). Add chicken and stir-fry until golden. Remove from wok and set aside.
- 3Wipe wok clean with paper towels and fry miso mixture over medium-high heat. Add beans and chicken, and toss to coat (1-2 minutes). Serve hot topped with sesame seeds, spring onion and chilli.
Shiro (white) miso is available from Asian grocers. Rice malt syrup is available from health-food shops; substitute honey.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm