This is a very simple and satisfying soup. If you want to add greens, stir them into the broth to wilt them - we'd opt for morning glory or thinly sliced broccolini. If poaching eggs feels too fiddly, soft-boil them instead.
- 200 gm soba noodles
- 4 eggs
- 10 cm piece konbu (see note)
- 5 gm bonito flakes (see note) (1/2 cup)
- 120 gm shiro miso (see note) (1/2 cup)
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1Cook soba according to packet directions (4-5 minutes), drain and divide among warm bowls.
- 2Poach eggs in batches in a saucepan of simmering water until cooked to your liking (3 minutes for soft yolks). Drain and place an egg in each bowl.
- 3Place konbu in a saucepan with 1 litre water, bring to the boil, then remove from heat and stir in bonito. Stand for 5 minutes, then strain through
a fine sieve. Whisk 250ml stock with shiro miso in a saucepan to combine, then add remaining stock and warm over low heat without boiling. Stir in spring onion, ladle into bowls, scatter with sesame seeds and serve hot.
Konbu, bonito flakes and shiro miso are all available from Japanese grocers.