If you have very fresh focaccia there’s no need to toast the bread. Make it more of a meal by serving the sandwiches with a simple tomato salad.
- 4 squares of focaccia (10cm each), cut in half horizontally
- For spreading: softened butter
- 12 thin slices mortadella
- 8 thin slices provolone dolce
- 1 bunch rocket leaves, trimmed
- 250 ml red wine vinegar (1 cup)
- 40 gm caster sugar
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1For pickled onions, combine vinegar, sugar, thyme, bay leaf and 100ml water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar, then transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly (5 minutes). Add onion and set aside to pickle (15 minutes).
- 2Heat a char-grill pan over high heat, grill focaccia cut-side down in batches until golden (1-2 minutes), then spread with butter. Grill mortadella, turning once, until golden (1-2 minutes). Divide among focaccia bases, top with provolone, then pickled onions and rocket, sandwich with focaccia tops and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am