- 40 ml olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind and juice only
- 400 gm Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) vegetable stock
- 200 gm pearl barley
- 1 each fresh bay leaf and thyme sprig
- 1 bunch English spinach, trimmed
Goat’s curd crostini
- 8 thin slices sourdough bread
- For drizzling: olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 50 gm goat’s curd
- 1Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add oil, leek, garlic and lemon rind, stir occasionally until tender (3-4 minutes). Add mushrooms, stir until tender, add stock, pearl barley and herbs, cover and bring to the boil. Cook until pearl barley is tender (8-10 minutes), remove herbs, add lemon juice and English spinach, season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, for goat’s curd crostini, preheat a grill to high. Drizzle bread slices with a little oil, grill, turning once, until toasted (1-2 minutes). Rub with cut-side of garlic, spread with goat’s curd, serve immediately with broth.