The flavour of this dish depends on the beer - choose a pale ale or lager that doesn't overpower the mussels and serve with grilled bread and a cos salad.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bacon rashers, diced
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 150 ml pale ale or lager beer
- 1 kg black mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 20 gm butter, diced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high heat. Place a rondeau or wide shallow saucepan on the barbecue and heat until hot. Add oil, onion, bacon, thyme and garlic, and stir until onion is tender and bacon browns (3-5 minutes). Add beer and bring to a simmer, then add mussels, close the barbecue lid or place a lid on pan and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until mussels open (4-8 minutes). Stir in butter and parsley and serve.