This salad works well with nectarines that haven't quite reached their optimum ripeness. The hot, sour and sweet dressing adds zing, making it the perfect accompaniment to barbecued fish.
- 6 yellow nectarines, halved, stones removed, sliced into cheeks and wedges
- 1 cup Thai basil
- 1 small red chilli, thinly sliced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lime juice
- 55 gm (¼ cup) coconut sugar (see note)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (or to taste)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (10cm each), thinly sliced
- 1For dressing, combine ingredients in a bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Set aside to infuse (5 minutes), then strain through a fine sieve.
- 2To serve, combine nectarines, basil, chilli and dressing in a bowl and toss.
Coconut sugar is available from select supermarkets and health-food shops.