- 1 kg desiree potatoes, coarsely chopped (about 4)
- 125 ml pouring cream (½ cup)
- 50 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 200gm New York steaks (see note)
- 100 gm soft butter
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 400 gm baby spinach leaves
- 1In a covered saucepan, bring potatoes to the boil in salted cold water, remove lid and cook until tender (7-10 minutes). Drain, return potatoes to pan, add cream, butter and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then mash until smooth, keep warm and set aside.
- 2For mustard butter, combine ingredients, season to taste and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over high heat. Rub steaks with olive oil and season to taste, then cook until medium rare (2 minutes on each side) or until cooked to your liking. Remove steaks from pan, cover with foil and keep warm.
- 4For garlic-wilted spinach, add oil and garlic to pan and cook until starting to colour (1 minute), add spinach and cook until just wilted. Season to taste and serve steaks with spinach, mash and mustard butter.
New York steak is also known as striploin.