- 6 small kipfler potatoes
- 250 gm yellow or green beans, trimmed
- 8 anchovy fillets
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 caperberries
- 45 gm Niçoise or Kalamata olives (¼ cup)
- 1½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 150gm tuna steaks (about 2.5cm-thick)
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus 1 tbsp extra
- 1 tbsp rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 1 baguette, sliced widthways and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 large clove of garlic, for rubbing
- 2 egg tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until just tender, then drain and cool. Cut into 1cm-thick rounds. Cook beans in boiling salted water until just tender, drain and refresh in iced water, then drain again. Combine potatoes, beans, anchovies, onion, caperberries and olives in a large bowl. Place vinegar and olive oil in a separate bowl, and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2For sandwiches, place tuna in a shallow glass or ceramic dish, drizzle with ¼ cup olive oil and rosemary, then cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 3Remove tuna from marinade, season fish to taste, then barbecue or char-grill over high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Brush bread lightly with remaining olive oil and barbecue or char-grill, cut-side down for 30-45 seconds. Lightly rub grilled bread halves with garlic clove.
- 4Place tuna on each of 4 bread halves, top with tomato, egg and remaining bread halves, then serve immediately with potato, anchovy and caperberry salad to the side, drizzled with dressing.
Drink Suggestion: A dry-ish rosé or light red made from grenache.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am