We cook these escalopes on only one side and let the heat just set the proteins, which gives them a silky texture. You could also do this under a hot grill. Add bread and a green salad for more of a meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20 gm butter
- 800 gm piece of skinless ocean trout, thinly sliced diagonally into 8 escalopes
- 100 gm (1 cup) walnuts
- Juice of 2 limes
- Arils from ½ pomegranate
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped mint
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp mild-flavoured extra-virgin olive oil
- 1For walnut-pomegranate salsa, preheat oven to 180°C and roast walnuts on an oven tray until golden (6-7 minutes). Cool, then finely chop walnuts and transfer to a bowl. Add lime juice, pomegranate and herbs, toss to combine, then toss with oil and season to taste.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat, add butter, season trout, add to pan and cook on one side until flesh is pink (1½-2 minutes). Transfer to plates and serve topped with salsa.
Drink Suggestion: Full-flavoured pale, dry rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.