Pan-fried ocean trout is an all-too-easy fish dinner. We've hacked the technique for super-crisp skin by separating it from the fish flesh, patting it dry, then roasting it in a hot oven.
- 4 skin-on ocean trout fillets (180gm each)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 750 gm kohlrabi
- 210 gm (3/4 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 cup (loosely packed) dill, coarsely chopped
- 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp salted capers, rinsed, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. For kohlrabi salad, trim top and bottom from kohlrabi. Discard trimmings and cut kohlrabi into julienne. Combine yoghurt, dill, mustard and capers in a small bowl. Season to taste then gently fold in kohlrabi.
- 2Line an oven tray with baking paper. Using a sharp knife, remove skin from trout. Wash skin, then pat dry with absorbent paper. Place skin on tray and bake until crisp (10 minutes). Cut into thin strips with scissors.
- 3Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook trout until cooked medium-rare (2 minutes each side), or to your liking. Season to taste.
- 4Serve trout with kohlrabi salad, topped with crisp skin.