- 600 gm piece of ocean trout, pin-boned
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, coarsely crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, coarsely crushed with a mortar and pestle
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 80 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, plus extra lemon wedges, to serve
- 60 gm slivered almonds
- 50 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- 200 gm long-grain rice
- 450 ml chicken stock
- 40 gm currants
- ½ preserved lemon, rind only, rinsed and finely diced
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped coriander (optional), plus extra to serve
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1For lemon-cardamom rice, preheat oven to 200C. Spread almonds on an oven tray and roast until golden (3-5 minutes). Melt butter in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and cardamom and stir until onion is tender and starting to turn golden (4-6 minutes). Add rice, stir to coat, then add stock and currants, bring to the boil, season to taste, cover with foil, transfer to oven and bake until liquid is absorbed (12-14 minutes). Add preserved lemon rind and coriander and lemon juice to taste.
- 2Place trout on a plate, scatter with fennel seeds, peppercorns, ground coriander and ½ tsp sea salt flakes. Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add trout skin-side up and cook until golden brown (5 minutes). Turn and cook until medium-rare (3-5 minutes). Remove from pan, discard skin and add lemon juice to pan juices.
- 3Flake trout over lemon-cardamom rice, drizzle with pan juices, scatter with coriander and serve with extra pan juices.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm