Perfect with pies, sausages and ploughman’s platters.
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Spanish onions, very thinly sliced using a mandolin
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a large heavy-based frying pan, add onions and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and cook, stirring frequently, for another 10 minutes. Stir in spices and cook for 5 minutes, then add vinegar and cook for another 5 minutes or until dark and thickened. Cool, then refrigerate until ready to use. Onion relish will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm