This dish is cooked like risotto, adding stock, ladleful by ladleful, as it’s absorbed. If using packaged stock, be careful when adding salt.
- 50 ml olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 400 gm dried orecchiette
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 150 gm broccoli (about 1 small), trimmed and cut into florets
- 50 gm pecorino, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1Combine oil, onion, garlic and chilli in a large saucepan, sauté over medium-high heat until tender (4-5 minutes), add anchovy, stir until dissolved. Add pasta, stir to coat, then add one-third of the hot stock and stir until stock is absorbed (4-5 minutes). Repeat once until most of the stock is absorbed and pasta is almost al dente (10-12 minutes), then add broccoli and remaining stock, stir until broccoli is just tender (2-3 minutes). Stir through pecorino and lemon rind, season to taste and serve hot, scattered with extra pecorino.
This recipe is from the April 2010 issue of .