- 500 gm coarsely minced pork
- 20 gm butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400 gm canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 slice soft white bread, crust removed, soaked in 1 tbsp milk for 1 minute
- ¼ cup (firmly packed) oregano, torn, plus extra to serve
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 350 gm orzo
- 1Heat butter and half the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (5 minutes). Transfer half the mixture to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly. Add tomato to remaining onion mixture and simmer until reduced slightly (5 minutes).
- 2Add pork, soaked bread, herbs and spices to bowl with reserved onion mixture. Season to taste, mix with your hands to combine, then roll into 16 balls.
- 3Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add meatballs and turn occasionally until golden and cooked through (5-10 minutes).
- 4Meanwhile, cook orzo in a large saucepan of boiling salted water over high heat until
al dente (5-10 minutes). Drain and serve warm with meatballs and sauce, scattered with pine nuts and extra oregano.
This recipe is from the October 2011 issue of .