We can't get enough of the Japanese sandwich, and the important thing to remember is to serve the fried component freshly cooked and crisp.
- For shallow-frying: vegetable oil
- 36 oysters, unwashed, drained juices
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 12 thin slices white bread, crusts removed, halved Bull-Dog sauce and Kenko mayonnaise (see note), to serve
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 thinly sliced spring onion, to serve
- 120 gm tempura flour
- 1Heat oil (about 5cm deep) in a saucepan to 175C. Combine oysters and soy sauce in a bowl and refrigerate. Place half the bread slices on a tray, spread with mayonnaise and Bull-Dog sauce and top with iceberg lettuce and spring onion.
- 2To make tempura batter, whisk tempura flour and 185ml cold water with a pinch salt and pepper, and 2-3 ice cubes until smooth. Add oysters, coat well, then fry in batches, turning occasionally, until golden (1-2 minutes). Drain on paper towels, season to taste, place on prepared sandwich bases, top with remaining bread and serve hot.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am