- 60 ml olive oil (1/4 cup)
- 1 baby fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ½ leek, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 4 silverbeet stems or rainbow chard stems, stalks thinly sliced, leaves coarsely chopped
- 500 ml fish or chicken stock (2 cups)
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tbsp each coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, dill and mint
- 4 skinless blue-eye trevalla fillets (200gm each)
- 20 gm butter
- 30 gm raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1Heat two-thirds of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add fennel, leek,garlic, lemon rind and stems, and sauté until tender (3-4 minutes). Add silverbeet leaves, stir to just wilt, then add stock, season to
taste and simmer until leaves are just tender (2-3 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, whisk eggwhite in a bowl until frothy, add yolk and whisk to combine. Whisk in lemon juice, then whisk in a ladleful of silverbeet braising liquid. Return to silverbeet mixture, and stir to combine and thicken without
boiling (1-2 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in herbs,reserving some to serve, and season to taste.
- 3Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan, add fish and brown well (2-3 minutes), then turn and cook through (1-2 minutes). Remove from pan, add butter to pan, then, when it foams, add almonds and cook until fragrant (30 seconds). Serve fish on silverbeet and sauce topped with butter, almonds and reserved herbs.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am