- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.25 litres chicken or vegetable stock (5 cups)
- 1 kg frozen peas, defrosted
- 3 cups trimmed spinach (about 2 bunches) (firmly packed)
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
Parmesan garlic bread
- 30 gm softened butter
- 15 gm finely grated parmesan
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- ½ baguette
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add fennel, leek and garlic, sauté until tender (5-6 minutes). Add stock, bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir through peas (reserve some to serve) and spinach, remove from heat, then process with a hand-held blender until very smooth. Add lemon rind and juice, season to taste, top with remaining peas, keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, for parmesan garlic bread, preheat oven to 200C. Combine butter, parmesan, garlic and lemon rind in a bowl, season to taste, mix well. Thickly slice baguette, keeping base intact, then thickly spread both sides of each slice with butter mixture. Wrap in foil, bake until hot (8-10 minutes), unwrap and bake until crisp (5 minutes). Serve hot with soup.
This recipe is from the October 2010 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Restaurant NewsSurf’s up: Three Blue Ducks is coming to MelbourneYesterday 11:00pm