- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 200 gm unrefined vialone nano rice (see note) (1 cup)
- 1 litre warm chicken stock (4 cups)
- 120 gm frozen baby peas (1 cup)
- ¼ cup mint leaves (loosely packed)
- To serve: finely grated parmesan
- 1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic and sauté over low heat for 8 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.
- 2Add rice and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, then add a little chicken stock and stir until absorbed, continuing to add stock and stirring until rice is al dente, then add peas and mint and cook for 2 minutes or until peas are tender. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Scatter risotto with parmesan and serve immediately.
Note Unrefined rice is risotto rice that has not been completely polished. This gives the risotto a lovely nutty flavour and prevents it becoming too creamy. It is available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, standard risotto rices make a fine substitute.