This spring-fresh soup is beautiful served hot or chilled - refrigerate for a couple of hours or, even better, overnight so the flavours develop further.
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 20 gm butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 kg frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 bunch (about 300gm) spinach, trimmed
- ½ cup (firmly packed) mint, plus extra (optional) to serve
- 150 gm crème fraîche, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (3-4 minutes). Add chicken stock, season to taste, bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes for flavours to develop, then add peas and simmer until just tender (3-4 minutes). Remove from heat, take out about ½ cup of peas with a slotted spoon (reserve for garnish), then add spinach, mint, crème fraîche, rind and juice to remaining pea mixture. Blend with a hand-held blender until smooth, check seasoning and serve hot with a spoonful of crème fraîche, reserved peas and extra mint.