Simply fruit purée folded through whipped cream, fools are a breeze to make. Use the ripest seasonal fruit, such as the peaches we've used here - it makes a big difference in flavour. You could serve this with biscuits such as shortbread or biscotti.
- 4 peaches, scored
- 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar
- 2 heaped tbsp peach or apricot jam
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 250 gm crème fraîche
- 40 gm (¼ cup) pure icing sugar
- 1Blanch peaches until skins splits (30 seconds to 1 minute). Set aside then, when cool enough to handle, peel and dice peach flesh.
- 2Bring sugar, jam and 60ml water to the boil in a saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add peach flesh and stir occasionally over medium heat until peach is well coated in jam, but still holds shape (2-4 minutes). Transfer to a bowl placed over ice and stir occasionally until chilled.
- 3Whisk cream, crème fraîche and icing sugar in a bowl until stiff peaks form. When ready to serve, fold in two-thirds of peach jam in just a few folds to create a ripple effect, then spoon into bowls, top with extra peach and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm