A 24cm-diameter cake tin also gives good results, but baking this cake in a wide frying pan shortens the cooking time a little, and looks very cute. A scoop or two of vanilla ice-cream tops it off nicely.
- 260 gm raw caster sugar, plus extra for scattering
- 180 gm plain flour
- 50 gm almond meal
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for scattering
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 250 ml well-shaken buttermilk (1 cup)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 40 gm butter, melted, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 2 beurre Bosc pears, unpeeled
- 40 gm almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in the centre and add buttermilk, egg, butter, vanilla and citrus rinds. Mix, working dry ingredients from around the edges, to form a smooth batter. Spoon into a buttered 24cm-diameter deep ovenproof frying pan, cut pears into sixths, arrange on top and scatter with chopped almonds, extra sugar and extra cinnamon. Bake until golden and a skewer withdraws clean (15-20 minutes). Serve drizzled with a little extra butter.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am