A fruit crumble shows off the fruit of the season in the best way, and is a great way to get through a surplus. A scopp of ice-cream on the side, or a drizzle of cream, is a must, too.
- Butter, for greasing
- 5 ripe plums, halved, stones removed
- 3 ripe but firm pears, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Vanilla-bean ice-cream or cream, to serve
- 200 gm (1⅓ cup) plain flour
- 150 gm butter, diced
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 pinches of ground cloves
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C. Grease a 1.5-litre baking dish with butter, add fruit and lemon juice, and sprinkle with sugar.
- 2For crumble, combine ingredients in a bowl and rub butter in with your fingers until clumps form. Scatter crumble over fruit and bake until golden and bubbling (20-25 minutes). Serve warm with ice-cream.