This is an adaption of a recipe in Jane Grigson's Fruit Book (Michael Joseph/Penguin).
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthways
- 110 gm caster sugar (½ cup)
- 4 peaches
- 4 white nectarines
- 150 gm raspberries
- 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice
- 150 ml gin or vodka
- 1Place scraped seeds from vanilla bean in a bowl, then cut bean into 4cm lengths and combine with sugar. Using a small knife, cut a small cross into skins at the base of stone fruit, then place stone fruit, one at a time, into boiling water for 30 seconds, then immediately refresh in iced water. Peel skins from stone fruit, cut in half and remove stones, then cut into quarters. Layer stone fruit with raspberries in a 1.75-litre wide-mouthed thermos or tall plastic container with a lid, sprinkling with sugar mixture and lime juice as you go. Pour in gin, seal container and invert once, then refrigerate until required. Alternatively, transfer the fruit salad to a tall glass jug for serving.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm