We've given the Basque piperade a Christmas twist with some spices that work well with the sweetness of the onion and capsicum.
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- 12 eggs
- 55 gm crème fraîche
Shallot and herb salad
- 1 golden shallot, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 cup basil (loosely packed)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley (loosely packed)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil and spices in a 30cm non-stick ovenproof frying pan over medium high-heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Reduce heat to medium, add onion and capsicum, season to taste and sauté, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften (3-5 minutes). Add garlic and thyme, and fry until aromatic (1-2 minutes).
- 2Whisk eggs and crème fraîche in a bowl to combine and season to taste. Remove spices from pan and discard, pour in egg mixture and tilt pan to spread evenly (it’s important the pan is hot so the egg begins to set immediately). Cook until sides start to set (2-3 minutes), then transfer to oven and bake until just set (8-10 minutes). Invert onto a chopping board, then invert onto a serving platter.
- 3Meanwhile, for shallot and herb salad, toss ingredients in a bowl to combine, season and drizzle with olive oil to taste.
- 4Serve frittata warm or at room temperature with shallot and herb salad.