Packed with crunch, sweetness, acidity and spice, this recipe plays with tried and true texture and flavour combinations in the best of ways.
- 110 gm (½ cup) caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 350 gm cumquats, larger ones halved
- 80 gm roasted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 750 ml chocolate ice-cream to serve
- 4 ginger nut biscuits, coarsely crushed
- 1Combine sugar, vanilla and 80ml water in a frying pan andbring to the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cumquats, cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until soft and glossy (3 minutes). Remove lid, increase heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has reduced to a thin syrup (5 minutes). Stir through macadamia nuts.
- 2Divide cumquat mixture among bowls, top with icecream and scatter with biscuit crumb to serve.