French cooks are renowned for composed salads that make the most of whatever is in season. This version makes for a super-fresh light lunch or dinner. We've used baby cucumbers here, but if they're unavailable, Lebanese cucumbers would work well, too.
- 16 medium uncooked prawns
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 2 golden shallots, 1 coarsely chopped and 1 thinly sliced
- ½ celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 350 gm baby cucumbers, halved, coarsely chopped
- 1½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 50 ml olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon, or to taste
- To serve: baby lamb’s lettuce, watercress sprigs and chervil
- 1Combine prawns, wine, chopped shallot, celery, thyme, garlic and 150ml water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and stand to cook prawns through (5 minutes). Drain prawns (discard cooking liquid), peel, leaving tails intact, and devein.
- 2Combine cucumber, sliced shallot and vinegar in a bowl and stand to infuse for 5 minutes. Add oil and lemon juice, season to taste and toss to combine, then add prawns and toss to coat. Arrange in layers on a platter, scatter with baby lamb’s lettuce, watercress and chervil and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am