These giant meatballs are almost like individual portions of meatloaf baked in tomato sauce.
- 660 gm each coarsely minced pork and veal
- 100 gm fine fresh white breadcrumbs
- 75 gm flat mild pancetta, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped basil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp each finely chopped oregano and sage
- 2 tsp finely chopped thyme, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 700 gm tomato passata
- shaved parmesan and crusty bread, To serve
- 1 cup each purple basil, basil, dill and flat-leaf parsley (firmly packed)
- 50 gm each baby English spinach leaves and rocket leaves
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- of 1 lemon, Juice
- 1Preheat oven to 250C fan-forced. Combine ingredients (except tomato passata) in a bowl, season to taste and mix to combine. Roll mixture into 4 balls and place in a lightly oiled 2-litre baking dish. Pour over tomato passata and bake, turning polpette halfway through cooking, until cooked through (30 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for herb salad, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and toss gently. Serve with polpette, topped with thyme sprigs and shaved parmesan, and crusty bread.
This recipe is from the November 2010 issue of .