- 6 thick slices sourdough bread
- 500 gm Provolone, grated
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 400 gm eggplant (about 1), coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 10 gm ginger, finely chopped
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp each black mustard seeds and ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 400 gm canned cherry tomatoes, drained
- 150 ml malt vinegar, or to taste
- 2 tbsp brown sugar, or to taste
- 1For eggplant chutney, heat half the oil in a frying pan over high heat, add half the eggplant, fry until golden (2-3 minutes), remove with a slotted spoon, drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining oil and eggplant. Reduce heat to medium, add onion, garlic and ginger, stir until tender (5-7 minutes). Add chilli and spices, stir until fragrant (1 minute). Increase heat to medium-high, add tomato, vinegar, sugar, simmer until just starting to thicken (3-5 minutes). Return eggplant to pan, cook until combined (2-3 minutes), season to taste, keep warm.
- 2Preheat a grill to high heat, grill bread until golden (1-2 minutes each side), spread with chutney, top with Provolone, grill until golden and melted (2-3 minutes), serve hot with salad.