- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp each ground fennel, ground coriander and ground cumin
- 3 long dried red chillies
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 each cinnamon quill and star anise
- 1-2 tsp ground chilli, or to taste
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 70 gm (¾ cup) finely grated fresh coconut
- 8 chicken thigh fillets (about 1kg), thickly sliced
- 1Dry-roast poppy seeds, fennel, coriander, cumin and whole dried chillies in a saucepan over medium heat until fragrant (1 minute). Remove from heat, then pound in a mortar and pestle to break up chillies. Set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add curry leaves and stir until fragrant (30 seconds). Add onion, stir occasionally until light golden (5-6 minutes), then add spice mixture, remaining spices, ginger and garlic, and stir occasionally until fragrant (2-3 minutes). Add tomatoes, stir until starting to break down (3-4 minutes), then add coconut and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add chicken and stir occasionally until cooked through (4-5 minutes). Add lime juice, season to taste, and serve hot topped with coriander sprigs and with steamed rice to the side.