- 1 head of radicchio, outer leaves discarded, leaves coarsely torn
- 2 heads of pink witlof, leaves separated
- 3 radishes
- 80 gm Ligurian olives, or other small black olives, pitted
- To serve: flat-leaf parsley and purple basil leaves
- 50 gm tin anchovies, drained, oil reserved
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 120 gm breadcrumbs made from day-old sourdough bread (2 cups)
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra leaves, to serve
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped basil
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 4 buffalo mozzarella each torn into 4 pieces (110gm each)
- For dusting: plain flour, seasoned to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- For shallow-frying: olive oil
- 1For anchovy sauce, process anchovies, lemon juice and garlic in the bowl of a small food processor until smooth. Add reserved oil and olive oil, drop by drop at first, then in a slow steady stream until mixture is thick and emulsified. Add 1 tbsp boiling water, season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and combine well. Makes about ¼ cup.
- 2For mozzarella fritters, place breadcrumbs, herbs and lemon rind in a bowl, season to taste with sea salt and ground black pepper and combine well. Dust torn mozzarella in seasoned flour, shaking off excess, then in beaten egg, allowing excess to drain off and coat in breadcrumb mixture, pressing crumbs to adhere. Place on a baking paper-lined tray and refrigerate until just before serving.
- 3Using a mandolin or sharp knife, cut radishes as thinly as possible, then place in a bowl of iced water and refrigerate until ready to serve. Place radicchio, red witlof and drained radish in a bowl and toss to combine well. Divide salad among bowls, then scatter with olives.
- 4Heat 1cm olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan and cook mozzarella fritters, in batches, over medium-high heat, for 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent paper, then scatter fritters and parsley and purple basil leaves over salads, drizzle with anchovy sauce and serve immediately.